nib Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance for your road trip

Hit the open road without the roadblocks and travel well on your adventure


Adventures on the road

Road trips around Australia are certainly on the rise and are always a great way to explore the world. When it comes to travel insurance, there's a few things to consider before hitting the open road.

2-wheels or 4-wheels?

Yes, the amount of wheels does make a difference to the cover we provide.

Our policies include plans which offer cover for : 

Motorcycling benefits
Motorcycling benefits
Motorcycling is an effective way to get around overseas however, you should consider a few things before riding.
Rental Vehicle Excess Cover
Rental Vehicle Excess Cover
Renting a car on holidays can give you the freedom to explore your destinations on your own terms but it’s good to know what to do when presented with often confusing options by providers.

Motorcycle Riding

Navigating the requirements for motorbike riding overseas can send you into a spin. Our guide will see you riding off into the sunset. So, remember you must:
  • Hold an appropriate and valid licence recognised in the country you are travelling in for the motorcycle you operate. (International driving permits aren’t always accepted so double check before riding.)
  • Hold a valid licence in Australia to operate the same class of motorbike
  • Obey the laws and road rules of the country you're in
  • Wear a helmet, whether as a driver or a passenger - even if it isn’t required in the destination country.
  • What do we mean by “motorbike”?
    When talking about nib travel insurance, all references to motorbikes include motorcycles, mopeds, scooters and any other motorised bike.
    What's not covered
    While we offer cover for the traveller on the motorbike, we don’t cover:
  • Theft of/damage to the motorbike itself (or rental insurance excess);
  • Personal liability when riding a motorbike
  • Racing of any kind
  • Motorbikes with an engine capacity greater than 250cc
  • Riding while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (if you do, this will result in your claim being denied).
  • Renting a car

    What do we mean by "rental vehicle"?

    No complicated definitions here - we’ve kept it simple…

    Any 4-wheeled vehicle with a gross vehicle mass less than 4.5 tonnes that you:

  • hire from a registered rental vehicle company; and
  • have a rental vehicle agreement in writing.
  • man in car
    Increasing the limits

    Most car rental companies give you the option to reduce the rental vehicle insurance excess payable if your vehicle is damaged or stolen, resulting in increased rental costs from the provider.

    Alternatively, nib includes coverage of $5k for the rental vehicle insurance excess as standard, on our International Comprehensive, Annual Multi Trip and Australian Travel plans, and gives travellers the option to increase this up to $10k on these plans, if needed, for an additional premium.

    Can't return the vehicle?
    Can't return the vehicle?
    If a rental vehicle is unable to be returned due to a claimable event covered by the policy like illness or injury, cover is available for the costs of returning it to the nearest depot.
    Hot tips for drivers
    Hot tips for drivers
    Get familiar with local road rules and be extra cautious when hitting the road. What you’re used to on Australian roads is likely very different abroad!
    What's covered

    When a vehicle is rented through a rental company (you must take up valid comprehensive motor vehicle insurance for the period of hire) and the traveller is a nominated driver on the agreement ,nib covers the rental vehicle insurance excess, or the cost of repairing the vehicle (whichever is lower), if:

  • the vehicle is damaged in an accident
  • the vehicle is damaged by storm
  • the vehicle is damaged by fire
  • the vehicle is stolen.
  • What's not covered
  • Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (if you do, this will result in your claim being denied)
  • Not following local road laws and rules
  • Personal liability when driving a vehicle
  • Racing of any kind
  • Vehicles that don’t meet the definition of a 'rental vehicle', for example motorbikes.
  • This is a brief summary of cover and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. Please read the international and domestic Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

    All set to jet?